Importance of practical work in Science
Abimbola (1994) identified the rationales advanced for the use of laboratory in science teaching.
- The subject matter of science is highly complex and abstract.
- Students weed to participate in enquiry to appreciate the spirit and methods of science
- Practical work is intrinsically interesting to students. The goal of practical work in science is to train students to become practicing scientists to make them good scientists in the future.
The aims of practical work in science are;
- to encourage accurate observation and description
- to arouse and maintain the interest of students
- to promote logical reasoning in the students and
- to be able to comprehend and carry out instructions.